Skip to main content

Git magic - commit amend

Like I said already about hard reset, it's a nasty way to alter a commit. Then what is the better way? 

That's exactly what I have written in this post about how we could use amend and what does it do.

/**
 * 
@disclaimer
 * Please read this post fully before executing any command. My scenario might not be same as yours.
*/

What is amend in git commit?

In git commit, when you add the attribute --amend like git commit --amend, it lets you edit the most recent commit. 

git commit --amend

So, when you give this command, it opens VIM editor with your latest commit message. Here you can edit your commit message and update it & push.

Is that all?

The answer is no. If you have changes in any of the files and you want to add them to your most recent commit, you can stage those files to commit. Then when you execute the above command, the most recent commit message is shown in the VIM editor or whatever default editor you have along with the newly staged files.

Therefore when you save the commit message from VIM editor, it updates the file changes as well to your most recent commit.

Therefore to sum up, with git commit --amend you can,
  • Update the latest commit message
  • Add / Remove / Modify files from / to the latest commit
I guess that tip helps whenever you have a case where the most recent commit needs to be updated. 

Comments

  1. Good Job !!
    Keep writing the blogs, this will really help when you want to avoid multiple commits..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Git - Removing a file from a commit

Once again, another git magic that might be of help to some of you. This research came up when I accidentally added a couple of unwanted files and wanted to remove them from a commit. We all know that to update an existing commit, we shall follow this git magic to amend commits . However, how do we drop changes to a particular file in a commit? While that is easy, it is also tricky. This blog post covers scenarios and respective commands that help you understand what should be done. /**  *  @disclaimer  * Please read this post fully before executing any command. My scenario might not be the same as yours. */ There are two scenarios to be handled here, Remove a newly added file Remove changes to an existing file Let's look at them separately, Remove a newly added file This is the scenario where an unwanted file added to the commit. This file might be some config.json that got generated while doing a research on a new testing tool or a bundling tool. Such scenarios are easier. 1. Re

Git - How to drop a commit in history?

Back after a while with another git magic. We already have seen how to get rid of the top most commit in this article ->  Git magic - Make commits disappear First of all, it's one of the not so recommended way of doing it and more than that, it can only get rid of sequential commits from latest. I recently happened to get into a scenario where I had to drop a commit in the history by keeping the latest ones. As part of that exploration, presenting you this article. /**  *  @disclaimer  * Please read this post fully before executing any command. My scenario might not be same as yours. */ To my greatest surprise, I didn't know a git rebase could do this. Please continue to read to know how. The steps are simple, Count until the commit line you need to drop using git log Do an interactive rebase and you're done.  Let me explain step by step. 1. Look at the commit log & count commits This is the first step. First let's list the commits using the following command,  

Git worktree - guide to flexible folder structure

As always, let's start with a story why I have written this one down. I have been using git for almost 5 years now and in one of my work places I had to work on the same project but different features in parallel.  Switching between branches back and forth was a costly operation given that I didn't discover commit amend until recently. Even though I'd have discovered commit amend, I'd still have did this. Still did what? I can sense that question deep from your throats. So, whenever I am in a situation to work on multiple features or a feature and a bug fix, I'd have two clones of my repo each with different branches, Whenever a feature is merged or the fixes are merged, I'll delete the clone in my machine and branch in my origin (Gitlab / Github etc.,) Recently when I started writing these git articles, my manager suggested me to learn about Git Worktree and it'll be useful. And when I got free and good understanding of git commit, rebase and stuff, I decid